Firearms Permits and Registration
PLEASE READ THE "ARRANGEMENTS TO PAY FIREARMS FEES" SECTION AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE PRIOR TO VISITING THE FARS WEBSITE.
The Middlesex Borough Police Department Detective Bureau is responsible for assisting residents with the application, processing and registration of firearms. For questions, please contact Detective Paul Steffanelli at 732-356-1900 ext 311, Detective Daniel McCue at 732-356-1900 ext 312 or Detective Sean Flanagan at 732-356-1900 ext 313.
On February 18, 2019, The New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigation Unit initiated the statewide activation of the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS). The activation of FARS allows firearms applications to be created and submitted online using the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars.
The new online application is APPLICANT DRIVEN. If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can RE-APPLY. The applicant should understand that all application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. The applicant MUST utilize the correct ORI number (NJ0121100) for the Middlesex Borough Police Department.
Step 1: To apply online, visit the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars. The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name”. They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Example: Joe vs. Joseph).
Step 2: When you log on, you must enter the Middlesex Borough Police Department’s ORI #: NJ0121100. Applicants using this ORI # MUST live in the Borough of Middlesex. If you're unsure which town to apply for, please contact this agency to verify your residency, at (732) 356-1900.
- ONE permit is required for each handgun you wish to purchase (each permit is $2.00)
- You can purchase one (1) handgun in a 30-day period
- Permits are good for up to 180 days (with renewal after 90 days)
- If you decide you want another handgun permit and you didn't get more than one initially, you will need to apply again
Applications will NOT be processed until all applicable fees are paid. Valid ID MUST be presented. Non-refundable payment is required to be made at the time of application as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
Step 5: A representative of the Middlesex Borough Police Department will contact you with the results of your application. You will also be contacted when your permits and relevant paperwork are ready for pick-up.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the online process.
- If an INITIAL applicant applied for an FID card and forgot to apply for pistol purchase permits, the applicant must re-apply for the pistol purchase permits AFTER their initial application is processed and approved.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. The email will be from Nofirstname.lastname@example.org. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone number and email addresses for yourself and your references.
- After the applicant enters all required information, a review page appears where the applicant can edit all information entered into the application prior to final submission.
- An INITIAL APPLICANT will be able to print out their fingerprint form at the end of the application, and are directed to do so.
- The applicant should also print both the confirmation page and application at the end of the process. This is for quick reference in the event of an issue.
- For additional firearms regulations and procedural information please visit the New Jersey State Police website: http://www.njsp.org/about/firearms.html
- There are firearms fees for an INITIAL Firearms Identification Card ($5.00) and for Permits to Purchase a Handgun ($2.00 each). There is no fee for a DUPLICATE Firearms Identification Card or a CHANGE OF ADDRESS on a Firearms Identification Card. For the applicant's convenience, the fees can now be paid online with a debit or credit card (3% transaction fee will apply).
- Online payment can be made at the bottom of this page. If payment is made online, when prompted to do so, please list your full name in the description box on the Purchase Details Page.
- If the applicant does not wish to pay the necessary fees online, arrangements can be made to pay in person, at Middlesex Police Headquarters. Only cash (exact change) or money order (payable to the "Borough of Middlesex") is accepted.