The Middlesex Borough Police Department Detective Bureau is responsible for assisting residents with the application, processing and registration of firearms. For questions, please contact Detective Daniel McCue at 732-356-1900 Ext. 312.
Step 1: First, write down the Middlesex Borough Police Department’s ORI Number NJ0121100 before proceeding to step 2. The applicant MUST live in the Borough of Middlesex to use the ORI Number NJ0121100 assigned to the Middlesex Borough Police Department. If you do not live in the Borough of Middlesex, please contact your local police agency for their ORI Number.
Step 2: To apply online, visit the following website: https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars.
Step 3: Next, check the appropriate block(s) for what you wish to make application for on the website. If applying for both a Firearms ID Card and Handgun Purchase Permit(s), please select both blocks on your application.
Step 4: Then complete the online application. The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name”. They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Example: Joe vs. Joseph). Please ensure all entered information is correct. You will need to re-apply if your date of birth and social security number is not correct. Falsification of the application is a crime of the third degree as provided in N.J.S. 2C:39-10c.
The following items will be required for the application process:
- Valid New Jersey driver’s license number.
- Social Security Number (S.S.N.)
- State Bureau of Investigation (S.B.I.) number. (If you do not have this, you will assigned a number as part of this application)
- Valid email address(s) for yourself and your 2 references (References CAN be family members)
Step 5: Make applicable firearm fee payments. Please note, the police department collects a fee for Firearms I.D. Cards and Handgun Purchase Permits, which is different from any fee collected from the New Jersey State Police or Identogo. Please see the “Firearm Application Fees” section at the bottom of this page to make payment or for more information on fees. Applications will NOT be processed until all applicable fees are paid.
Step 6: If this is your initial application and you have not been fingerprinted, please visit the following website to schedule a fingerprinting appointment: https://uenroll.identogo.com. You will need your contributors case number and the ORI number (NJ0121100) to proceed.
Firearm Application Fees
- If you have not been fingerprinted for prior firearms applications, the company, Identogo will fingerprint you and require a separate charge for completing your fingerprints. If you have been fingerprinted for prior firearms applications, the State of New Jersey will charge you $21.00 for a required criminal history check.
- There are also firearms fees for an INITIAL Firearms I.D. Card ($5.00) and for Handgun Purchase Permit(s) ($2.00 each). There is no fee for a DUPLICATE Firearms I.D. Card or a CHANGE OF ADDRESS on a Firearms I.D. Card. For the applicant’s convenience, the fees can now be paid online with a debit or credit card (3% transaction fee will apply).
- Online payment can be made at the bottom of this page. If payment is made online, when prompted to do so, please list your full name in the description box on the Purchase Details Page.
- If the applicant does not wish to pay the necessary fees online, arrangements can be made to pay in person, at Middlesex Police Headquarters. Only cash (exact change) or money order (payable to the “Borough of Middlesex”) is accepted. Non-refundable payment is required to be made at the time of application as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
Make Payment Online
Choose option from drop down menu below and click “Buy Now”. You do not need a PayPal account and you may pay with a debit or credit card.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the online process.
- If your application for a Firearms I.D. Card was approved, you will receive an email notification to the email address you indicated on your application. This DOES NOT MEAN that the Firearms I.D. Card is ready for pick up. This document still requires an authorized signature to be valid. You will be will contacted when the Firearms I.D. Card is prepared and signed off on. Please bring proper identification with you when picking up your Firearms I.D. Card.
- As of October 1, 2020, the New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigations Unit implemented Electronic Handgun Purchase Permits (E-Permits) and will replace carbon copy permits. You will be notified by email if your application for Handgun Purchase Permit(s) is approved. You can then provide the gun dealer with your contributors case number which they can use to facilitate a handgun purchase.