1. I received a motor vehicle summons, where can I pay the fine?
    1. Fines can be paid by visiting the Violations Bureau located at 1200 Mountain Avenue.  Fines may also be paid via mail provided a court appearance is not required.  Questions concerning payment of fines or whether you must appear in court should be directed to the Violations Bureau at 732-356-4644.
  2. How do I get a copy of a police report?
    1. Copies of police reports can be obtained in person or by email. To get a copy of a police report in person you must complete a report request form available at police headquarters.  To get a copy of a police report by email you must complete the appropriate form listed on the Records / Service Bureau page and email it with a copy of your ID to records@middlesexpd.com. Certain requests are subject to fees.
  3. I have to be fingerprinted. Do I have to make an appointment?
    1. Yes.  The Detective Bureau does fingerprinting for Middlesex Borough residents only. Residents must provide their own fingerprint cards. Contact the Detective Bureau at 732-356-1900 X-311, 312 or 313 to arrange for an appointment.
  4. Am I required to get a permit for a garage/yard sale?
    1. No, a permit is not required for a yard sale.  However, residents are reminded that it is against the law to post any sign advertising the sale on a utility pole, traffic sign or signal, street sign, or on any public or private property without the owner’s consent.
  5. When is an Assembly Permit required?
    1. A permit is required for all public meetings, assemblies, dances, picnics or parades that take place in the Borough of Middlesex. (Local Ordinance, Section 292-1)
    2. You can get the Assembly Permit form from the Police Department or from the Borough Clerk’s Office.  The Assembly Permit form is also available from this website.  (See the “Form Downloads” section on the Main Page)  Complete the form and submit it to the Police Department at least 3 weeks before the date of your event.  There is no charge for the permit, however the Chief of Police may assign one or more police officers to the event for security purposes depending on the size and nature of the event.  You are responsible for cost of the officers.
  6. How do I get a Firearms ID Card or a Pistol Purchase Permit?
    1. To get an ID Card or Pistol Purchase Permit you must complete the necessary forms and submit them with the required fees.  For more detailed information refer to the “Firearms Information” section on our website.
  7. How can I arrange for a tour of police headquarters for my group?
    1. You must send a letter to the Chief of Police requesting the tour.  Try to send the letter at least one month in advance and, if possible, provide at least 2 dates to choose from.
  8. How do I get a police officer as a speaker/presenter for my group/organization?
    1. You must send a letter to the Chief of Police requesting a speaker.  Include the topic that you want the officer to speak about and the date and time you prefer.  Try to send the letter at least two months in advance and, if possible, provide several dates to choose from.
  9. What is the law regarding noise that disturbs the peace?
    1. It is against the law to disturb the quiet of the Borough or of any lawful assembly of persons, or of any neighborhood, family or person within the Borough by any loud or unnecessary noise, or by conduct that otherwise disturbs the public peace.  There are no specific time restrictions; the court will use a reasonableness standard.  For example, mowing your lawn at 8am may be disturbing the peace, but mowing it at 10am would not.
  10. What can I do about a barking dog in my neighborhood?
    1. It is against the law to allow a dog to bark continuously, regardless of the time of day.  If you have a problem, you should talk to your neighbor about it or call the police and we will give them a warning.  If the problem continues you will need to sign a complaint against the dog owner.
  11. How can I get a temporary handicapped-parking placard?
    1. You must stop at Police Headquarters and pick up a form that must be completed by you and your doctor.  Return the completed form to the police department with a check or money order (we cannot accept cash) in the amount of $4.00 payable to “Motor Vehicle Commission”.  You will be issued a Temporary Handicapped Parking permit that is good for 6 months.  At the end of 6 months it can be renewed for an additional 6 months.  After that you must repeat the process.
  12. How can I get a permanent handicapped-parking placard?
    1. Permanent handicapped parking placards are available through Motor Vehicle Services.  Applications are available at all Motor Vehicle Commission offices.  The nearest locations are in Somerville and South Plainfield.  The application form is similar to the temporary form and must be completed by you and your doctor.  The form is then mailed to the Motor Vehicle Commission with the required fee.  Allow 6-8 weeks for processing.
  13. What is the law about inoperable motor vehicles?
    1. No person shall park, leave or store any inoperable motor vehicle on any public lands or premises except in case of emergency and upon immediate notification thereof to the Middlesex Police Department and then for a period of not more than 24 hours.  
    2. No person shall park, leave, store or maintain any inoperable motor vehicle upon any private property or premises for a period of more than 30 days.
  14. How do I report an odor complaint in my neighborhood?
    1. Contact police headquarters and try to give the following information: location or area where the odor can be detected, description or type of odor and if possible the source of the odor.  Depending on the nature of the complaint you may be asked to contact the NJDEP or the Middlesex County Health Department.
  15. I have a friend / family member involved with substance abuse how could I obtain assistance and support?
    1. Residents may contact NJ 2-1-1 who can help you find solutions to personal needs by informing you of resources in your community like day care facilities, shelters, affordable housing units, social services, employment training programs, senior services, medical insurance, and more. Learn about their resource database, call centers and Website.  You may also contact any of the local hospitals for assistance and guidance.   
  16. Are motorized scooters legal?
    1. Legally, motorized scooters are in the same category as motorcycles for the purpose of traffic enforcement. This means that a motorized scooter has to be legally registered, insured and the operator has to have a valid NJ driver’s license.  The driver also has to wear a helmet. Since these “vehicles” cannot be registered or insured, the end result is that a motorized scooter cannot legally be operated on any public street or highway (including a sidewalk) or on any public or private property without the consent of the owner.  A juvenile who is summonsed for operating one of these motorized scooters could have his/her driver’s license delayed upon reaching the lawful driving age.  The scooter can also be impounded as an unregistered vehicle.
  17. Do I have to register my residential / business alarm with the Police Department?
    1. Yes, all business and residential alarms must be registered with the Police Department.  Upon applying for a Certificate of Occupancy the construction office will provide you with an alarm registration form along with a copy of Local Ordinance 1380-96.  If you recently installed an alarm at your residence or business you must submit the alarm registration form.  Registration forms are available at police headquarters or at the construction office.
    2. Completed forms are to be sent to the Middlesex Borough Police Department along with a check or money order payable to the Borough of Middlesex for the alarm registration fee.  The alarm fees and types are listed in Local Ordinance 1380-96.
    3. Please be aware that any business or residence who accumulates 5 to 8 false alarms within a calendar year is in violation and is subject to a fine of $25.00 for each occurrence over 4.  For each false alarm over 8 the user shall be subject to a fine of $50.00 per occurrence.
  18. How do I dispose of an unwanted firearm or ammunition?
    1. In accordance with N.J.S.A. 2C:39-12 citizens should submit a letter to the Chief of Police of their intention to voluntarily surrender a weapon(s) including the proposed date and time of surrender.  The citizen should arrive on the date time with the weapon(s) to be surrendered.  All weapons being transported shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed case, gun box or securely tied package, and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.  The course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.  It is also suggested upon arrival at police headquarters the person surrendering the weapon(s) come into police headquarters first to announce their presence, before bringing any weapon(s) into the building.  An officer will be assigned to complete the necessary paperwork and take possession of the weapon(s).  All weapons being surrendered must be unloaded.