1913 – The Borough of Middlesex is established after successfully separating from Piscataway Township.
1913 – A system of law enforcement utilizing Marshals is established.
1924 – Gurdon Fuller is hired as one of the Marshals.
1933 – Two Constables, William C. Fellows and Gurdon Fuller, are appointed to perform the law enforcement function in Middlesex.
1935 – The two man Constable system is abolished and the Marshal system is re-instated.
1939 – The Middlesex Borough Police Department is established. Gurdon Fuller is appointed as the first Chief of Police. Frank Pasek Jr. is appointed as the department’s only Patrolman.
1939 – A second-hand car is purchased and used to patrol the borough. A room in a building in the 700 block of Lincoln Boulevard serves as police headquarters.
1942 – Andrew C. Simpf is hired as a Patrolman at a salary of $1,400 per year, increasing the department to 3 men. The police department still uses a second-hand car, with no two-way radio, for patrol. Police officers would answer calls at headquarters and then respond to the calls. When there were no police officers in headquarters, telephone calls for police were answered by a borough employee whose job was to monitor the operation of the sewer pumping station on River Road. When the borough employee received a call for police he would turn on the porch light of the pumping station. When the officer on patrol passed the pumping station and saw the light on he would stop and see what kind of call he had. The police officer on duty would patrol until 3 a.m. and then would be “on call” at his home.
1943 – The police department obtained and installed a two-way radio in the patrol car. The radio was on the same frequency as Bound Brook police. When not in headquarters, officers would switch the phone calls over to the Bound Brook police who would answer the calls and then dispatch the Middlesex police officer via the two-way radio. The three Middlesex police officers, assisted by a few special police officers, worked six days per week, 10 hours per day, to provide the borough with around the clock police protection.
1943 – Police headquarters was now located on Bound Brook Road & Garden Place. One of the many duties of the police officers was to shovel coal into the furnace at the beginning of their shift. On Sundays, officers would report to headquarters in plain clothes to clean the coal furnace and to clean headquarters. One room in police headquarters was used as the Courtroom for Municipal Court. There was no jail in headquarters; prisoners had to be taken to the Dunellen Police Department.
1948 – The Borough of Middlesex purchased the building located at the corner of Bound Brook Road and North Lincoln Ave., known as the “Conover Home”. This building, built in 1837, was part of a 135-acre farm. Police headquarters was relocated to the Conover Home. This move pleased the officers because this building was equipped with an oil-burning furnace, so the officers no longer had to shovel coal.
1962 – Sylvester Conrad is hired as a Patrolman, bringing the number of police officers to fifteen. The police department moves into its new headquarters in the Municipal Building at 1200 Mountain Ave. The new headquarters gives the department, which has expanded considerably, the room they need to operate.
1962 – Chief Gurdon Fuller retires from the department after 33 years of service.
1963 – Lt. Andrew Simpf, who has been serving as Acting Chief of Police since Chief Fuller retired, is appointed as the department’s second Chief of Police. The police department now employs 17 officers.
1972 – James Benson is hired as a Patrolman, increasing the number of police officers to 30.
1974 – The police department hires its first civilian employee, and first female employee, Cynthia (Keiser) Chomen to do clerical duties.
1976 – Two new patrolman are hired under the Safe Neighborhoods Grant Program, bringing the number of police officers to 32.
1981 – Chief Andrew Simpf retires [6/30/81] after 39 years of service, leaving a department that has grown to 32 police officers.
1981 – Capt. Sylvester Conrad is sworn in as the third Chief of Police of the department [7/1/81]. The department now has 7 police vehicles and has established a Traffic Division and Juvenile Bureau. The department has modernized its operation by installing a National Crime Information Center (NCIC) computer at headquarters.
1984 – Craig Young is hired as a Patrolman.
1986 – The police department continues to modernize by adding an in-house computer system to maintain records. Previously, all calls had to be manually recorded.
1989 – A monument is erected on the front lawn of headquarters and is dedicated to all officers of the department, past and present, commemorating their service to the community. The Middlesex Borough Police Department celebrates 50 years of service.
1989 – The police department implements the D.A.R.E. program in the 5th grade classes in the public and parochial schools. One officer is assigned to teach D.A.R.E.
1992 – Chief Sylvester Conrad retires (1/31/92) as Chief of Police after 30 years of service.
1992 – Capt. James Benson is sworn in as the department’s fourth Chief of Police [2/1/92]. The department now has 32 police officers, 2 civilian clerical personnel, 13 School Guards and 5 Police Matrons.
1993 – Matthew Geist is hired as a Patrolman (08/10/93). The police department establishes a Crime Prevention Unit staffed by 2 officers. The Crime Prevention Officers work closely with residents and business owners to reduce crime.
1994 – The police department adopts a new, shield style badge. The 8th grade D.A.R.E. program is added. The Bike Patrol Unit is established. The Traffic Safety Unit is established.
1995 – A new Class “A” Uniform is adopted. New vehicle graphics are adopted for the patrol cars. The First Edition of the Police Trading Cards is released.
1996 – Mobile computer terminals (MCT) are installed in 3 of the patrol cars. These laptop computers enable officers to perform inquiries of the NCIC-SCIC and the NJ Division of Motor Vehicles records systems, and to communicate from car to headquarters and car to car electronically.
1997 – The police department website goes on-line.
1998 – The police department holds its first Citizen Police Academy and its first Mini-Academy for kids and hosts its first “D.A.R.E. Night Out.” Installation of a new Computer Aided Dispatch and Records Management System (CAD/RMS) is completed. The police department equips every patrol car with a cardiac defibrillator.
1999 – The department hires its first civilian dispatchers. The four dispatchers are hired through a COPS grant from the US Justice Department. The police department hires its first female police officer, Lauralee (Salisbury) Battista. The police department receives national recognition by being awarded 2nd place in the nationwide “Best Dressed Police Department” contest sponsored by the National Association of Uniform Manufacturers (NAUMD). A Mini-Academy II is established for children who have successfully completed the basic Mini Academy.
2000 – The Detective Bureau is moved from the building into a trailer because of lack of space in police headquarters.
2001 – The Millennium Edition of the Police Trading Cards is released. A Class “C” utility uniform is established for officers to wear for special details.
2004 – Chief Benson receives approval from the governing body to begin the planning process of building a new police headquarters. The vacant lot on Mountain Avenue next to Watchung Terrace is chosen as the new location for police headquarters.
2005 – Chief Benson and Capt. Young meet with architectural firms to discuss building design and plans. Cornerstone Architectural Group from South Plainfield, NJ is hired as the architect. Throughout the remainder of the year Chief Benson and Capt. Young work with Cornerstone Architectural Group to finalize the building design and plans. Monmouth Construction is awarded the bid to build the new police headquarters. Site work and all of the necessary approvals and permits are obtained.
2006 – On December 21, 2006 construction begins on the new police headquarters following a ground breaking ceremony.
2007 – Construction continues throughout the year. Chief Benson and Capt. Young meet regularly with the architect, construction manager and contractor to ensure that everything progresses according to the plans.
2008 – Throughout the early part of the year construction on the new police headquarters is being completed. Police officers begin to move equipment and files from the old headquarters into the new facility. On June 11, 2008 police headquarters is officially dedicated.
2010 – Chief James Benson retires [05/01/10] as Chief of Police after 38 years of service.
2010 – Capt. Craig Young is appointed Acting Chief of Police [05/01/10]. As a result of severe budget cuts the department’s staffing is reduced to 28 sworn officers and 1 civilian secretary. The department participated in its first National Night Out event.
2011 – Acting Chief Craig Young is sworn in as the department’s fifth Chief of Police [01/01/11]. Throughout the year, as a result of attrition, the department’s staffing dropped to 23 sworn officers and no civilian personnel. The second Annual National Night Out was expanded to Mountain View Park. In conjunction with the “Wheels Under Your Feet, Helmet On Your Head” campaign in which officers educated our youth about the importance of wearing a helmet and bicycle safety. The police department received the Bronze Award for our continued participation with the annual “Walk Our Children to School” program.
2012 – At the start of 2012 the department was staffed by 25 sworn officers and 2 part time civilian secretaries. The police department installed a digital mobile video recording system in all of the marked police cars. The department received an Automated License Plate Reader and 3 Personal Radiological Detectors from Middlesex County through a grant from the Office of Homeland Security and Preparedness. The police department’s policy and procedures, rules and regulations and borough personnel policy were converted to digital format and issued to all personnel on a USB flash drive; reducing the time and costs associated with updating the manuals.
2013 – At the start of 2013 the department was staffed by 27 sworn officers and 2 part time civilian secretaries. Due to attrition the department lost 5 officers during the year; 2 officers were hired during the summer and 1 part time civilian secretary moved to a full time position. As part of a borough wide radio upgrade, the police department purchased and installed new radios in the patrol cars and issued new portable radios to each officer. The department purchased and deployed patrol rifles to specially training officers. The department took delivery on new Chevy Tahoe 4wd vehicle to replace a 4wd vehicle that was 14 years old.
2014 – The Middlesex Borough Police Department celebrates 75 years of service. On February 1, 1939 the Mayor and Council adopt an Ordinance to establish the police department; the department was staffed with a Chief of Police and 1 Police Officer. At the start of 2014 the department is staffed by 24 sworn officers and 2 civilian secretaries. The Mayor and Council recognize the service of all officers, past and present, with a Proclamation that is read at the March 11, 2014 Council Meeting.
2014 – The police department completes the purchase and installation of a new 9-1-1 system. The borough wide radio upgrade is completed with the installation of a new radio console in police headquarters. New servers and workstations were purchased and installed as part of the department’s ongoing technology upgrade program. Throughout the year six new officers were hired bringing the department to 29 sworn officers, the most since 2010. On June 13, 2014 the police department was selected to participate in the Special Olympics USA Games Final Leg Torch Run Ceremony. Athletes and law enforcement officers from around the country converged on Middlesex to run a final leg as the torch was carried to the opening ceremonies at High Point Stadium in Piscataway, NJ. Six new Chevrolet Caprice police cars were leased to replace the existing fleet of Ford Crown Victoria police cars. Near the end of the year officers were trained in the use of Nasal Narcan (Naloxone). The drug is administered to persons suffering from an opioid overdose at the earliest possible time to minimize the severity of the overdose.
2015 – Chief Craig Young retires [07/01/15] as Chief of Police after 31 years of service.
2015 – Lt. Matthew Geist is appointed as the department’s sixth Chief of Police (07/14/2015).
2016 – Getting back to our community roots, the department establishes a Community Policing Coordinator to oversee National Night Out, the re-established Fishing Derby, Coffee with a Cop, and other community events. Two officers are appointed as Social Media coordinators to oversee operations of the department’s webpage, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram social media outlets. The department began equipping officers with conducted energy devices. Conducted energy devices allow officers to potentially resolve a confrontation with an individual without it escalating to a level where deadly force is required.
2018 – The department established a Rescue Task Force which is a historic partnership between the Police Department, Fire Department, Rescue Squad and the Office of Emergency Management to provide effective, efficient and collective responses to any active shooter or active attack incidents. During 2018, the department acquired a fleet of patrol SUV’s and for the first time the department began using Ford Explorer’s for patrol which provides more dependable responses to calls during inclement weather conditions and more interior cargo space for storing and easily accessing equipment.
2019 – The department created an online reporting system to allow residents to report certain incidents online.